View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Cramps for days after an IBS attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by headachejane View Post
Hello to everyone,

I am new to this board, but not new to IBS. I am a 41 year old female, and have had IBS C & D for as long as I can remember. I tend to have C, then suddenly have D right out of nowhere (with EXCRUCIATING pain, I might add).

Anyhow, I was wondering if any of you have cramps for a few days after you have an IBS attack (D). I get sharp cramps that feel like gas right below my ribs, especially after I eat. This usually lasts a few days, then I feel normal again.

Last night, I had one of my "attacks". I woke up at 12:30am with severe, sharp pain under my right rib. It bothered me most of the night. I could hardly walk this morning, it was so sharp. It hurt to breathe! It finally subsided around 8:00am. I know that gall stones can feel the same way. It's so confusing. It's 2:40 this afternoon, and I'm still a little uncomfortable under my ribs.

Do any of you confuse IBS and gallstones?

I don't know what to think.

Thanks,
Jane
I have IBS also alternating between the constipation and diarrhea and like you I am more on the constipation end of it than the diarrhea. I sometimes too get those sharp pains under my rib cage but I usually chalk it up to trapped gas pains which can be very painful. I have never had gallbladder problems or gallstones so I don't know what to compare it to except trapped gas. My trapped gas pains though are usually because I am very constipated and the gas can't bypass the mass of stool in my sigmoid colon and rectum and carbonated drinks can cause lots of trapped gas and lots of pain and led to a bout with severe abdominal cramps and the explosive diarrhea for about an hour after drinking sparkling cider on Thanksgiving Day.
When I get lots of gas both trapped and expelling a lot, I go sit on the toilet and place my right hand just below the belly button and push inward and downward and try to expel as much gas as possible. I then take 10 slow deep breaths and hold it to the count of ten and slowly exhale through pursed lips. If I do this then I can usually move my bowels provided I haven't gone more than 3 days in a row without going. If I have gone more than 3 days without moving my bowels than I use a glycerin suppository to soften the hard stool so I can have a bowel movement and get rid of the trapped gas and the foul smelling gas I am expelling too much of.
I have found that highly greasy and fatty foods cause the most problems with the severe abdominal cramps, lots of gas, and explosive diarrhea that can last as long as 2 hours. Other foods that bother me are acidic,spicy, and foods that cause lots of gas like brussels sprouts,cabbage,asparagus and beans of course. I hope this is helpful to you.