View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 09:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User
Re: Hi, i'm another newbie

Hi there...Welcome to the boards...

Sorry to hear of your pain issues...

So are you saying your PM is not practicing anymore? Not sure what you mean by the insurance companies driving him away.....I know that my PM has been a huge blessing as he is taking less money for his services by many of his patients but will never leave as it's more important to him that people get care no matter their financial situation...

I haven't had health insurance in almost 6 years after my divorce! So my PM has worked it out where he only needs to see me every 3 months and then I only pay $75 for our appt. We have also worked out all my medication to be generics and whatever is the least expensive. He also does free acupuncture for me anytime I want!

Are there any other PMs in your area? Even if you have to drive to another city like Harrisburg, Reading, or even Philadelphia if needed.

So....if they choose to put you back on any medication...you could get a generic muscle relaxer like Flexeril for $8 a month (60 pills) or even something like OxyIR that is around $15-$20....

Believe me...I can empathize with the pain of spine issues...I've had 3 fusion surgeries (two levels) as well as 3 active herniations in the lumbar and upper thoracic region as well as bone spurs, stenosis, Spondy, etc......

My Dr.s and I agree that we will stay away from more surgery unless there is threat of paralyzation...So we manage with some medications but many other modalities like daily exercise, yoga/stretching, physical therapy (I do at home), massage, acupuncture, ice, heat, injections when needed, steroids when needed, biofeedback, eating well and maintaining a healthy weight, etc....

The daily exercise....a 1.4 mile walk each night and daily core stretching has been crucial to keeping my back/neck from getting worse..I feel terrible on any day that it's pouring rain and I can't get out...

So...hopefully you can find a Dr. willing to take less money and work with you on finding a good comprehensive plan that doesn't cost much to help with your pain levels...