View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: ulnar shortening post op

I hope your bone stimulator works well.

I had to get my first replacement cast at 4 weeks because so much swelling had gone down that my hand was flopping around alot. Unfortunately, there was one spot that I had where the 2nd cast rubbed some and I hated it even more than the first.

While I was frustrated during PT, it wasn't from pain from the PT itself. I was more frustrated when I stalled before regaining full palm-up capability and the fact I still had pain from my original tfcc area wrist pain. Most of my PT consisted of heat, ice, massage and ultrasound. I had one exercise that focused on some ROM. I didn't add any weight at all until my last couple visits. Insurance cut me off from more PT before I got any further. The big thing the therapist wanted to do was work on the scaring and scar tissue. The ROM work was done passively by the therapist.

Both of my PT's now have said that with wrist therapy there should not be pain with what we do because that causes inflammation which is contradictory to healing of the wrist. I wouldn't worry about PT pain at this point.

My first surgeon didn't think I needed the arthroscopy so I only had the shortening first which made my healing a bit different from yours. I just had my arthroscopy 2 weeks ago.

Unless it isn't allowed with the bone stimulator, I still recommend using lots of ice to help you with some of the painfulness.

I wish you well with your healing and weaning off of the meds.