View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 05:27 AM   #4
(female)

monkeypants5 HB User
Re: Hashimoto and Hives

I'm currently dealing with the same thing. As I type this, my eyes are almost completely swollen shut, my lips and chin are swollen and my neck is covered in hives. I was in the ER about 3 weeks ago with a serious case of angioedema. I knew it was related to my thyoid, I could "just tell". I had an abnormal thyroid u/s about 6 months prior, yet the Endo who reviewed the results wanted to take the "wait and see" approach and told me to come back in a year. After the ER visit, I went straight to my primary dr. and demanded they do a blood test. My TgAb (antibodies) came back at 609 (reference 0-40). Went to another endo who diagnosed Hashi's but laughed at me when I made the connection between the hives/angioedema and the high antibodies. He even recommended a psychologist because he figured they were "stress/anxiety" related.

So now I'm at a loss. I need to find a dr. who will treat both issues. I know that small doses of thyroid hormone will reduce antibodies, yet they won't prescribe it because my T3 and T4 are still in the normal range. I'm fortunate to have a friend whose good friend is an Immunologist/Allergist at Mayo. He's sent over all my info, labs, symptoms and we're waiting to hear back. I'm hoping he offers some advice! My daughter's birthday party is tomorrow and I look like a monster!!! UGH!!