View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #117
Veteran
(female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User
re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet20 View Post
Hi Cassie,
I think if your inlaws come to help for a while, you'll be fine. You're young and are having the fusion which I've heard is great if you're young! If you get a cast protector for the shower I think you'll work out fine. I had my right dominant hand done twice and I learned to use my left hand almost completely for everything. It's amazing how that works.
You sound prepared and know what to expect so I wish you good luck. Christmas time just makes it harder to deal with but you have no choice. You'll have years of Christmas celebrations. I liked a small pillow too to rest my arm on in the car or at home. Having extra pillows in bed helps too. You have to keep your arm elevated for a while so this helps.
I wish you well and please let us know how you are after surgery.

Hugs!!!!!!
Janet
Cassie, I dont remember if I told you to have pillows stacked on your bed so you can raise your arm whilst you sleep. Your arm needs to be elevated above your heart to enable to blood to go back to your heart (pardon my bad English!) Raising of your arm also helps lowering the swelling.
This may sound difficult to do, but you tend to get used to sleeping with your arm raised.
Janet is correct in telling you to have a pillow near you when you are sitting down so as to rest your arm on the pillow.
Hoping to hear from you soon.
Haydena.