View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: MS, RLS, Convulsive Spasms

Have you been checked for Parkinson's? My mom had RLS for several years before finally finding out about her Parkinson's. Her Parkinson's neuro told her that many RLS patients become Parkinson's patients and it is a sign he uses to investigate further. While it is not 100% definite and RLS is not the same as Parkinson's, there is a statistical risk.

In addition to Parkinson's, other medical conditions which may present with RLS include iron deficiency, diabetes, end-stage kidney disease, and even pregnancy. Still, those with RLS caused or as a sign of the aforementioned medical diseases or conditions, the majority of RLS patients do not have any of the additional problems. Like with MS, the snake oil salesmen sell many wares to the RLS patients.

Have you been tested for any of the aforementioned medical conditions?

Medicines, such as antipsychotic drugs -- like aripiprazole (Abilify) and risperidone (Risperdal) -- also can cause involuntary leg movements similar to RLS.

While my mom was alive, she took Ropinerole and I know it helped her.

I hope you find your answers soon. As far as I know, RLS and MS are separate, but there exists the possibility that you could have both.It can be frustrating. When my mom used to join me to drive to the clinic, I had to stop 3-5 times during a 2 hour drive just so she could walk to get relief from her RLS. When her Parkinson's reached the late stages her RLS simply went away.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><