View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Constipation ugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojokdz View Post
I am 60 yrs old. I have Gerd/ibs. And anxiety. I always had a bowel movement every morning, sometimes normal and sometimes not but at least it was something. And when I had a day or so flare up, I would have IBS-d. About 8 weeks ago, my anxiety went thru the roof, and my entire digestive system went nuts... and I got constipated.. never before, maybe a few times but not like this! I have a pain under my left rib and in the middle between my breasts! Dr. says its where the colon bends and this is a spot where stool or gas gets trapped! I am miserable. Between this pain and not being able to go to the bathroom is awful.. One Dr. tells me to take mirilax, another says take metamuscil, my nutrionist says low fiber, to settle down my colon for a while, and do the mirilax.. I am scared because I Never got constipated before..
Drink lots of water daily(64 oz.) If you don't eat a lot of fiber then slowly increase it over a two week period to 25-30 grams a day. Try Citrucel or Metamucil at least twice a day. Make sure you drink at least 1 8 oz. glass of water after each dose . This will help you to maintain regularity and add bulk to your bowel movements making them easier to pass through the rectum and anus. One of the most things I have found to work for me to prevent me from getting constipated is to make sure I take time every morning to move my bowels even before I get into the shower. If I don't then I have to strain to go the next day and it hurts a lot. Listening to relaxing music and do slow deep breathing exercises helps me to go without pain. I hope this helps you get back to being able to move your bowels on a regular basis !