View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 05:50 AM   #3
(female)

AdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB User
Re: Calcaneus fracture

Hi Michelle,
Welcome to the boards! On 7/30, I fell 25 feet and broke my calcaneus into about....15-20 pieces. I had surgery on 8/23, and had 6 pins, a plate, and 3 screws installed permanently.

I was non weight bearing for 10 weeks. At that time, I was allowed to start working my way up to being full weight bearing, as long as I stayed in my black boot. I was full weight bearing in my boot by 13 weeks. By Thanksgiving I was given clearance to be full weight bearing in shoe, and I ditched the boot and the scooter and got a cane. I started physical therapy 2 weeks ago, and have had 3 sessions so far. (I go 2x a week and the first session was just paperwork and measurements.) Once I started therapy, I was walking, I was actually walking a bit before.

I am now up to riding the stationary bike for 10 mins and walking on a treadmill for 5. I do a lot of at home stretches. I am sore at the end of the day, but its nothing a little ice and elevation don't make better.

It takes anywhere from 10-18 months to be back to "normal". You probably won't ever be able to jump off a roof again, but I wouldn't recommend that anyway. It doesn't sound like you had a fusion, so all of your range of motion should come back.

I miss walking a lot too. But try not to let this injury take your friends away. Look into getting a knee scooter. Way faster than crutches and you can keep up with friends. I was non-weight bearing in a cast and went to my friend's wedding on a knee scooter and was able to dress up and dance will all my friends. I just wasn't standing. Plus, now you have an excuse to drive those motorized carts at Target and Walmart and stuff.

You'll get through it, it will seem like it is taking forever at times, but just stick with it. The little things build up and happen without you realizing it. It just takes time.

Good luck, and big hugs. Ask if you need anything.

Liz

The following user gives a hug of support to AdkLizard46:
Chelle96 (12-08-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to AdkLizard46 For This Useful Post:
Chelle96 (12-08-2012)