View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User
Re: Help With Vitamin D

Vitamin D deficiency is reaching really high levels because people have been warned so much against sun exposure and skin cancer. I have had issues with very low vit d as well, and for some reason the pills make me really foggy and I can't take them. I've decided that if my vit d is low I'm simply not getting enough sun and I have decided to treat it with regular sunshine. If you do not have a history of skin cancer then regular sun exposure will treat it quickly, mine went from 20 to 75 in just a few months.

The important thing is that you become familiar with your local climate conditions and the UV index in your area. When the index is high, the sun is very damaging, when it is low it is actually very safe to be out and you should be able to find out during what times the UV index is in the safe zone for your area. Where I live, the UV index gets up to 12/13 during the day which is extreme, but after around 4.20pm in the summer it is back down to safe levels so that's when I sit or lie out in the sun and get my vit D.

Even in medical journals it has been discussed that many people are simply not getting enough sun anymore because skin cancer campaigns have been a bit too effective in convincing people to avoid the sun and cover up.