View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: waiting on referral

Mary, you are absolutely right to insist on a rheum referral. There are other tests that can be done to pin this down. One path to a diagnosis (sometimes) is a skin biopsy of the lesions on your scalp, etc. with immunofluorescent studies to look for immune complexes deposited in the skin layers. I would take a picture of my skin lesions and butterfly rash, perhaps on your cell phone, to show your Dr in case the rash or lesions are not there when you go. The more objective evidence you can show, the better, in trying to get diagnosed. You have an impressive family history that sounds autoimmune related. The fact your rash appeared after sun exposure is important. Your ANA could have been falsely negative because of the Prednisone and should be repeated off the Pred. Your elevated sed rate as well as symptoms indicate something is going on, so please don't let any Dr. just try to dismiss this. I would get a referral to a dermatologist as well for skin biopsy.