Thread: Patient Lift
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 06:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Patient Lift

The moaning and combativeness are both signs of pain. I would love to see her face. If there is that little furrow between her brows, it is probably pain related. In the end of life there can be pain that is not necessarily related to a specific medical situation. It is the pain of the end of life. Do you have a clue what medication they are using to alleviate her combativeness? Roxanol perhaps or maybe Ativan. Ativan is strictly for anxiety where as Roxanol is for pain.

Yes, a lift does take two people to operate it safely. I am not sure what they were thinking... but the family does have a right to refuse especially if they deem it unsafe for their loved one.

Alzheimer's is a brain disease. The rest of the body can be healthy. My Mom has no other health problems. Her heart is strong, her lungs are clear, and the rest of her body is functioning as it should except for her brain. Eventually the brain will fail to tell the rest of the body what to do correctly. Mom has lost the ability to walk or feed herself. Her brain just doesn't tell her muscles what to do. She is having difficulty knowing what to do when the food gets in her mouth. Again, this is a brain function. She has long sense lost the ability to communicate or understand communication. This is also a brain function. So even though the heart, lungs, and other organs are healthy, the diseased brain is taking away her ability to live. That is why Mom can be healthy as a horse and still dying.

As for the eating, please tell the family to ask for "Magic Cups". They are 290 calories each with 11 grams of protein. They can also supplement with nutritional supplements such as Ensure or Boost. The onion rings just made me smile. It amazes me what they love and hang on to.

Hospice was probably recommended by her primary physician. They give care for patients who have an illness with a terminal prognosis. When they are at the point when comfort care is all that can be offered. I am SHOCKED that she is still on Namenda.... and Statin. I do wonder about this particular agency. Dad was with Hospice for the last 3 months of his life and Mom has been with Hospice for the last 19 months. Here they are amazing Hopefully they will give this family good guidance....

Love, deb