View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: My Brother... again

I understand...Our family all sought therapy just to deal with her mental illness, while she was happy to just keep her head in the sand and refuse to accept she needed help. That is the part that really irks me. We talked until we were blue in the face with her, all to no avail.

I understand both diagnosis and treatment are impossible without some recognition of her deep seated issues. I believe her treatment of my parents robbed them of so many years of peace and relaxation that they deserved more than anyone. When they both passed away in a tragic way this time last year, that was the end of our family. She did not even come near me at the funeral or interact with the family. That was the last I ever saw of her, and honestly, that is fine with me. Forgive me for sounding so crass, but enough is enough at some point. I had reached mine.

We are all responsible for our own actions, especially once we reach adulthood. At that point, I think it also up to us to protect ourselves from negative influences on our lives. No one wants to shun a family member, but perhaps that kind of treatment will be more helpful to both parties, rather than just continuing to let it keep happening.

Of course, I do not know you or your family, but I know ours let my sister and her antics go way to far. It is one thing to help another in need, and another to allow someone to walk all over us instead of doing the work to get better.

I wish you well,