View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #131
Veteran
(female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User
Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - my story (Janet20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus7777777 View Post
I posted once briefly re: my fear of this surgery and whether I would be able to play piano ever again, etc. I think I also asked about dealing with this surgery since I live alone.

Thanks to all of you who responded to these issues, as I have been reading your replies, but have not been able to respond as logging in again was glitchy and I finally had to change my password. I am SO GRATEFUL for your input . . . sooo many tips were helpful and allowed me to plan ahead for things I wasn't expecting.

Speaking of nerve blocks . . . I had a contracture (trigger finger) repaired 5 yrs ago with no block, just a local as I had just moved and planned to drive myself home after---the worst part was the tourniquet---excruciating! The nerve block for the trapeziectomy was fine until afterward, for the 40+ hours before it wore off . . . YIKES If you're expecting to have a nerve block, be sure they discharge you with an ADULT-sized sling. My sling was child-sized and my arm kept jumping out (literally) my poly-neuropathy felt very violated/abused being surgerized

All seriousness aside - I think my already unoperated rotator-cuff was strained or sprained as the scapular pain sometimes screams louder than what's happening in my hand.

I think my splint needs to be re-molded soon, too, after the New Year break, as the part that wraps around my thumb feels like it digs into the base of it. It's the part that's swollen around where the trapezium used to be, although I think the arnica is reducing the swelling a tad, or maybe it's the next level of exercises that I began today

My surgery was on 12/5/12 - so I'm coming up on a month this weekend . . . must say, it's gone quickly . . . helped out a bit at first by an escaped suture on one end and incision not knitting together well at the other . . . the original dressing was very tight . . . unnecessary bruising, in my non-medical opinion . . . oh well . . . all in all, I've felt very encouraged and supported by CHT (Certified Hand Therapist) that I've seen and another professional formerly in that field that I've connected with online.

A Happy 2013 to all of you, and again, thanks for posting your journeys online for the rest of us to learn from and identify with
Hi Exodus,

When you get your splint remoulded ask for gauze to be put under the splint as it protects your skin & stops anything digging into your flesh. I had a micro-plastic splint that was cut & moulded to the shape of my left hand. There were sharp pieces that dug into my fore finger & wrist. I removed the splint myself with the help of my son & he helped me place a large folded piece of gauze under the splint. He replaced the splint exactly the way it was before. I thought my PT(who worked with my surgeon) would give me hell for doing this, but not a word was said.

I also had the help of a CHT who came to my home 3 times a week. She was much more experienced than the surgeon's PT whom I stopped going to for PT.

You are over the worst & now all you need is time & patience to heal.
Keep in touch with us here & I wish you all the best.

Haydena.