View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
(male)

rick0049 HB User
Re: Essential Thrombocytosis (high platelets)

Hi "I wonder if"........ Thanks so much for sharing.It is truly a blessing to hear from someone about this condition.Anyway,I was & am still on ,since 2007, a med called hydroxyurea(Hi -droxy- uray-ah) and it brought my total down from almost a million when discovered ,to around 460,000 or so,currently,which is considered a safe total.At least that's what I was told by my hematologist.I was also told to take an 81mg aspirin daily and this helped as well.By the way,I am required to get a blood draw monthly to monitor my count.So far so good AND there have been no side effects at all.

I was trying to make a case with the VA that Agent Orange (an herbicide used during the Viet-Nam war) may have been a contributing factor to my case.Even though it was over 40 years ago when I was there. Ask your Dr. about this med and maybe he/she can help/direct you.

I wish you and especially your daughter,the best of results.Can you please tell me (if you want).......Was your daughter's dad in Viet-Nam?............I'm curious because MANY vets from that era/war came down with ET even though the condition itself is considered "extremely rare" with no specific cause, even affecting the general public.(There were cases of some Viet-Nam veteran "dependents" coming down with this ET,as well).That's what I was told,again, by my hematologist.Good luck,GOD bless and if you'd like,keep me posted on your dealing with this mysterious condition.Thanks for responding and hope to hear from you soon

Last edited by Administrator; 01-02-2013 at 12:43 PM.