View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
(male)

ohmit89 HB User
Adult PE tubes for Eustachian Tube Dysfunction

Hi all,

After a developing an ear infection from a serious sinus infection and taking a flight, I have developed Eustachian Tube Dysfunction. Hearing is 100% or close to 100% but I have a stuffed cotton ball feeling in both ears, on and off, plus clicking everytime I swallow and yawn.

I can Valsalva both sides and it seems to change the stuffiness feeling but I can never equalise it properly so it is even on both sides. One ear is always stuffier than the other.

This leads to me wanting to clear my ears every 30 secs - something that is driving me crazy and leaving me with a sore jaw.

I am hoping to try PE tubes for my condition but for those who have taken this path Can you answer some of my questions? From reading other posts I have gathered that:

1. Tube insertion does not guarantee instant relief - there is a settling period of 1wk to 1 month for the stuffness to go away - but generally the tubes help once the drum heals around the tube

2. Possible changes in hearing? - noticeable changes in self perception of own voice? echoes?

3. My question is that with tube insertion - for those whose ears click when swallowing and yawning - does this go away after the tubes are inserted?

I cant figure out if my OCD ear clearing is resulting from my ear stuffiness or the clicking.

Thanks for your advice!
Tim

Last edited by ohmit89; 01-07-2013 at 08:57 PM.