View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #16
(female)

Katprof HB User
Re: Ankle Fusion vs BTK Amputation

Tom, if you are still around I would like to ask you a question or two. I'm on this board on behalf of my husband, who is really struggling with foot pain and decreased activity after two foot surgeries. He sees himself now having severely reduced activity, no longer being able to walk for more than a few minutes at a time, for the rest of his life. None of his doctors have ever mentioned amputation -- they just talk about repeat surgeries and waiting for some day when the perfect ankle replacement joint will be invented. But I am wondering about it because the time he needs quality of life is NOW, not later, and he would desperately like to be the active person he used to be (he's 44 now). I am curious about two things -- what major risks do you refer to when you say you were lucky enough to avoid them, and what is your sober assessment of the level of activity you have been able to achieve now? I guess anything else you might like to say to me I'd like to hear too. Of course it is not me that has to do the thinking about this, ultimately it's my husband. Thanks so much for any wisdom you can provide.