View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 03:05 AM   #2
(male)

Skitliv HB User
Re: denial and poor memory in schizophrenia

Hi
I had a few of the same experiences. I once had a 3 hour talk with one of my friends. I got very angry, as he was threatening me and told me to back of etc. The next day he acted normal and when I confronted him, he had no idea what I was talking about. The night still haunts me, because I don't know what was real or not. He told me what he actually said, and I immediately thought it was another conspiracy against me. Now I decided to forget the night. I don't know what was real and I never will.
There was a few other times I lost memory or misinterpreted events, but that's just part of our illness.

What your mother said is a bit unfair. Saying stuff like that to people who are struggling to find out what is wrong with them is just unhealthy. My mother still doesn't think I have schizophrenia and every few weeks she reads up on a new illness that she is sure I have that explains my symptoms. We can't be angry at them because they are just trying to help, but it still does damage.

I also had a voice telling me that I was normal. When I finally got a appointment to see someone, he said he would make me kill everyone I know if I went. Ironically when I got the courage to go see the doctor, he thought I was lying and just put me on a lame anti depressant. I only got diagnosed by my 3rd doctor.

I was also a bit depressed about being chronically ill without a chance of being cured. Then I read a short book about a life story of a schizophrenic. It was a nice read, but the title was the thing I took most to heart. "Recovered not cured". That is all we can hope for.