View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
(female)

InTheShelter HB User
Re: Desperately need help...

I'm so sorry to hear about all of your struggles. It sounds terrible. I have had a lot of problems with severe dysphagia, but mine has all been at the lower part of my esophagus, so I can swallow initially, but food then gets stuck in my esophagus. So that's a little different than your case, so I don't know if I have any great advice.

What type of doctor have you been to? Gastroenterologists are good, but if you are having trouble with swallowing in your throat area, you might consider an otolaryngologist too. I have been to one for voice issues, but he was also interested in my swallowing problems, and they deal a lot with that specific region. *Especially* if you're having trouble with your throat spasming shut, I would *really* consider seeing an otolaryngologist (I also have laryngospasms, so I know how terrifying it is when your throat just suddenly closes. My otolaryngologist has been helpful for that too, though.).

Can you swallow liquids most of the time? If so, I highly recommend starting drinking nutritional drinks like Boost or Ensure - they can have up to 350 calories/8oz and can have a good amount of protein. I started drinking them before my last surgery because I was losing a lot of weight quickly and they were worried that I might be too weak for them to do surgery. My only word of advice is to try different flavours (chocolate is the only one I could handle) and if you're prone to a lot of nausea, to take some medicine before drinking them. When I did that, I was able to get them down much better, and stopped losing weight so quickly.

Who is prescribing your antidepressants and anxiety medicine? If it is just your GP or someone who doesn't specialize in that, I would seriously consider going to a psychiatrist. I've had some pretty severe negative reactions to antidepressants, and if you have problems with that, only having someone who knows the medications really well prescribe them might be helpful.

I'm not sure if any of these suggestions will be helpful, but I hope so. I'm so sorry that you're going through all of this and I hope that you're able to get some answers soon! When is your endoscopy? I hope that it is sooner rather than later...