View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 11:16 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

dksea HB Userdksea HB Userdksea HB User
Re: anxiety problem?

There are two types of drugs that are used for the most part in addressing anxiety. For long term relief the first choice is SSRI class drugs like Prozac, Celexa or Lexapro. These are also used in other related disorders like depression and OCD. They may take up to a few weeks to become fully effective, but generally are well tolerated with little or no side effects in most people. Finding the right one may take time as some people may respond well to one and not another.

The second set of drugs used to address anxiety in most cases are benzodiazepines like Xanax or Klonopin. These are generally used for treating acute anxiety spikes or stronger anxiety symptoms. These are given in lower doses as they can be habit forming over long term use and have some withdrawal symptoms if one uses them long term if not slowly tapered off.

It's not uncommon to treat anxiety using a combination of drugs. I for example take Celexa regularly and have a Klonopin prescription for acute spikes that I can take as needed.

Many people have concerns about taking pills and that's ok. You should also discuss therapy with your doctor. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy has been shown to be highly effective in treating anxiety disorders and in time you might not need medication to manage your symptoms.

Something else that might help is journaling. I know that writing down my thoughts can be a big relief for me.

I hope your Drs appointment goes well and congrats on taking the first steps in your recovery.