View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 08:27 AM   #3
(female)

pink0cupcake HB User
Re: TMJ + Rib Grafting

That doesn't make me feel very hopeful. I've had surgery 2.5 years ago but they just pulled my jaw and chin forward. That helped relieve some muscle tension and strain and for a year I went migraine free and it was wonderful! But after the first year the pain and migraines started coming back and now they're so bad that I'm throwing up from the pain. I've tried every over the counter medication and they don't do anything. I've moved on to some prescription medications (T3s and Tridural) but they don't make a dent in the pain either. I'm starting to move from school into a career in the next few months and I'm worried that I wont be able to get through a work day. I've had to miss school in the past because I couldn't get out of bed but I've learned to push myself through the days but I can't imagine being on my feet all day, interacting with people at work with a migraine. And in a 7 day week I usually have about 5 bad days of pain on average. So I was thinking maybe another surgery would be the best option? I know it should always be a last resort but my surgeon has basically told me that it's the only way to go because of the degeneration in my jaw joints.

We're planning on using my own ribs. This surgeon is very well known in my area and surrounding areas and he doesn't like using implants since he feels foreign objects in the body should be a very last resort.

But I guess my question is, what are the odds that I'll be able to recover (at least to a point where I don't look like I've just come out of surgery) in one month? Is that a reasonable amount of time to allocate to recovery or am I going to need more than that before my face starts looking normal? I know with my last surgery the swelling didn't completely go down until two or three months later, but after the first month the bruising had pretty much disappeared and the swelling had gone down enough that it didn't look dramatic.

I've tried doing some research online regarding this surgery but I haven't been able to find very much information on it. The majority of the websites talk about surgical implants, not ribs. Is there any website (or google search words) you might recommend?