View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: Alternative to Bisphosphonates

HI crkrie, I'm 60 also. I started the SC at maybe 53 after a heel test at a local health fair said i had density loss,i then had a DEXA to confirm it. I took actonel for a couple of months before deciding it was not for me. I started SC shortly after that. Without digging out old lab reports i think my spine score was around -3, maybe a bit more. I learned about SC thru my own research and reading about it on osteo broads. I like the fact that its a natural substance with few side effects. I've been lucky and haven't had any unless you count stronger fingernails and increased bone density. I ordered it online from vitacost, or if you're lucky you can find it where you live. The usual daily dose is 2 caps equaling 680 mg. , but i sometimes alternate 1 cap a day for a week, then 2 a day for a week. It makes them last a bit longer that way.

My doctor doesn't recommend it because its not FDA approved, but he has seen the gains i've made. I know quite a few taking it and they have all done well on it. With the surgery you've had it might be a good idea to talk to a naturopath before starting it. Its never too late to make improvements to your health and well being. Take care, phyllis

The Following User Says Thank You to phylwill1152 For This Useful Post:
crkrie (01-21-2013)