View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 05:59 AM   #1
(male)

kapoor999 HB User
TMJ replacement surgery

Hi-
I am having TMJ replacement surgery next week and really nervous about it. Can you please share your experiences?

My background-
I have a TMJ lock jaw for all my life. I am 35 years old now. I fell down when I was I think less than a year and have not been able to open my full mouth since then. I have been operated 3 times earlier with no success, primarily because they were trying to fix my joint rather than replacing it.
I don't have any pain in my jaw or any discomfort. The only thing is that I can not open my mouth and I have difficulty while eating.
My teeth are getting bad now especially the one's in the back and it is impossible for my dentist to reach out to them.

Other than that, I don't have any issues.

I recently met a doctor in Dallas- Dr. Douglas Sinn and he seems to be quite confident that once we replace my right TMJ its going to be fine with me. My left side looks fine.

I need your help with the following:
- Success rates of the the replacements
- How long is the pain there? Is it temporary or permanent? I have read lot of things about the pain.
- How much time does it take to get back to normal life.
- Any specific precautions that I should be taking
- Any possible side effects
- How long are the Dr. visits? I don't want to make it a permanent thing to have to visit the doctor.

Sorry for the long post. But I really need your help.
Thanks much and looking forward to get some response/ feedback.

Thanks much
Bhavesh