View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Shirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB User
Re: TMJ replacement surgery

Hello!

You did not say which TMJ implant you will be receiving. I just under went my 17th TMJ surgery July 18, 2012 and I had my left Fossa replaced. I am currently on my third set of TMJ Concept Implants.

PLEASE keep in mind, we all suffer from TMJ and have under gone different surgeries/treatment plans. Everyone is different so as far as the healing and pain go we all have different experiances. I did not get relief from the pain and discomfort until the last surgery I had. For the first time in 20 years I am pain and pill free. I have broken a screw so I have to have surgery again on March 4th.

You are undergoing a major surgery and need to prepare yourself for the healing afterwards. Again we all heal different and we all have different levels of pain. You should be prepared for pain and discomfort. The only advise I can give you is stay positive and prepare yourself, physical, mental, emotionally as well as you can. Your body will heal at it's own rate and you can not push or force that and you need to allow your body to heal. If you are going to be on a liquid or soft diet after the surgery make sure you have those items before surgery along with ice and heat packs. Do you know if your OS plans to wire your mouth closed while you heal? If they do then you need to make sure you have enough liquids on hand to help your body heal. I do not want to scare you, but I have had surgeries that when I awoke in recovery I was in more pain than before the surgery and others that when I awoke I felt good and went home without staying in the hospital. Before every surgery I clean and bleach my house, wash my bed linens to try and reduce the chance of infection sice my head is being cut open. Try and stay calm and relaxed, I know it is hard but the less stress your body is in the better it can heal and remember healing takes time!

I hope I have been able to help a little and I hope the surgery goes Great for you!

Take Care!
Shirlett