View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
(male)

nealiusss HB User
High calorie foods? (need to gain)

Hey guys, I'm a 25 year old male who's been having issues with fatigue and lethargy. I've been trying to exercise but the energy to do so just isn't there. The longest I was able to go with regular exercise was about a month, and I felt better, but nowhere near what I have felt before nor where I want to be. I'm 5'10" and terribly underweight at ~123lbs. I have been to Japan a few times and over there I feel great and I can gain nearly 10lbs (more if I actually worked out while there), but back here in the US I almost immediately feel horrible and I lose all the weight I gained. I do have Ulcerative Colitis, which has been asymptomatic for the last few years--including the time I spent in Japan--so the only thing I've really been able to narrow it down to is diet and nutrition. Looking at my calorie intake in the US, I'm lucky to get 1300 calories and the food just makes be feel sick. In Japan I ate close to 2100 (maybe even more) calories a day and I felt fine.

The problem I'm finding here in the US is the portion size in relation to the calories it gives me. In Japan I ate small meals that were packed with calories and they were satisfying, but not overfilling. However here in the States the food is 50-100% larger and gives me less calories, plus it makes me bloated and sick to my stomach because I overate.

For example, in Japan I ate a lot of ramen and katsudon. Real ramen is made with a broth from actual animal parts and soy sauce (sometimes miso, too), hand-pulled noodles, slices of pork, and a soft-boiled egg, which comes out to roughly 700-850 calories according to the Japanese sites I've looked at. Katsudon is breaded and deep-fried pork simmered in a sweet soy sauce with onions and egg, which is then served over rice, and that comes out to 800-1000 calories. Compare this to America, where I eat an 8 oz. steak with a sweet potato and some broccoli only to feel like a beached whale while only getting 650 calories.

I have tried cooking some of the Japanese foods I ate (bought a cookbook while I was there) but it didn't make much of a difference, which leads me to believe that the ingredients here just aren't providing me with the nutrition I need, so I'm wondering if there are any "superfoods" that are light on the stomach but heavy on the calories.