View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
(female)

karensk HB User
Re: Personality and other changes after gastric bypass surgery?

I knew we were in for trouble after my husband's laparoscopic Roux-en-Y bypass. You see, he had been a binge eater, and then he decided *bam* to have the surgery, never tried any other diet, nothing. He was determined that being obese was the root of all his problems, and that being thin would solve everything.

Needless to say, his personality did change and he got so nasty and self-absorbed after the surgery, and also started drinking in a problematic fashion (had never really done this prior). He also went crazy spending, wanting all new clothes, even while our bills went unpaid.

I had enough of his behaviors and have filed for divorce. We were married 18 yrs. My feeling about many of the folks having this surgery is this: If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you. Not saying the surgery is a walk in the park by any means, but those who manage to lose a great deal on their own will be powerfully transformed in a good way, both physically and mentally. Many who have the surgery are like my husband, literally seeking the 'easy way out' and the results can be disastrous.

Google "addiction transfer" after gastric bypass and you will get tons more info.