Thread: MMSE question
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User
Re: MMSE question

I am wondering if there are many people who are not tested by MMSE.
Some GPs still don't know what to do with it. My Mom's GP had it but didn't do anything about it and didn't respond to my sister's request about the drugs for dementia. I told my folks that these drugs can only delay symptoms (aricept.)
So Mom never got anything. She won't do another test now as she refused to admit it is true. It is possible that it is not true since some questions are quite ambiguous. I mean, if someone doesn't care for the president or the first lady's first name, he/she may not get it either. My mom failed it on the clock issue but she could draw it. She doesn't use English as her daily language so maybe it is some issue. My Dad forgot once that I visited him 3 years ago but he had cancer surgery after that so possibly he didn't care for my trip earlier.
Comparing with my late FIL, my parents seem to be in good shape in terms of dementia. However my folks are concerned about my Mom's situation. Even my Dad thinks my Mom cannot do his medication anymore and would like to hire someone but my Mom doesn't like to hire anyone in the house for getting into more trouble with a new person. My sister got her the medication box. So far she is doing OK (My Mom always gets the medication for my Dad now.) 2 of my sisters are retired and can help them a lot but they don't live with them. My parents also travel to Asia once a year... It is a long story.

Nina

Last edited by ninamarc; 02-01-2013 at 01:48 PM.