View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
(female)

Cherubi HB User
Post Tonsillectomy Pain

Hi, I'm 15 and I got my tonsils removed two days ago 1/30/13. Right after the surgery when I woke up in the Recovery room my pain was minimal at 3/10 with 10 being the worst pain. After they let me go home I ate Bullion Cube Soup which I often call Ramen broth, and sucked on banana popsicles. I slept a lot and my throat didn't hurt very much until the next day. When I woke up in the morning I could barely speak or open my mouth without a great deal of pain so I quickly took my pain meds and my antibiotic to see if the pain would lessen. All I managed to drink was grape juice which burned when I swallowed and I could only eat popsicles. I could barely sleep that night and I kept waking up until I finally just gave up and took my meds and grabbed a pudding. After only two bites I couldn't eat any more and I had to throw it away. Afterwards I fell asleep in my chair and when I woke up I was in a lot of pain 7/10. I drank some hot tea and ate another jello. My throat has been building up a ton of mucus and it's been causing me to cough and gag it up and it feels horrible like it's a ball stuck in my throat. Sometimes I can barely swallow while other times I can easily swallow, like with the jello it easily went down my throat but the pudding hurt so bad and I had to stop eating it. Not too long ago I ate some ramen broth and a small slice of pepperoni pizza. The pizza was so good although it was very painful to swallow but it felt good to have something solid in my stomach. I just took my pain meds about 30 minutes ago but if it's done anything it just made my sore throat worse. My pain level is about an 8/10. Is this normal for the second day post tonsillectomy patients?