View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
(female)

aspiemom13 HB User
Re: PLEASE READ Panic disorder insanity

Notcoping6, my heart goes out to you. Anxiety is such a hard thing with which to live and unless one has experienced it, it can be difficult to understand. My 14 year old son is suffering terribly from it as well and I have also experienced it for most of my life. I promise, that once you get some help with the appropriate medication and behavioral modification therapy, it can make a huge difference in your life.
Dksea is correct in that the best way to deal with anxiety (on a behavior level) is to face the source of the fear headon. There are programs which help teens just like yourself face individual fears, by helping the individual slowly (over a period of time) build up a tolerance to the source of the anxiety.
In our local children's hospital (in Canada) they use a programme developed in Australia called Cool Kids. It is based on the idea I tried to explain above. Slow exposure to the source of the anxiety does eventually diminish one's fear of it, but it does take time. It is well worth trying and apparently there is a high success rate with this program. Combining one of many anti-anxiety medications available with this sort of behavior modification can make a huge difference in the life of an anxiety sufferer.
Hang on to the thought that there is definitely help out there for you and it sounds as though the process is already underway. Anxiety and depression are very common illnesses (particularly with teens) but they can be overcome. I am helping my son get the help he needs and I know that you will soon be on your way to recovery.
I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. You are not alone.