View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Ulnar Shortening Surgery... how long is recovery?

I find it interesting that so many doctors can have so many different approaches.

I was in the hard fiberglass cast before getting a removable splint about 4 weeks later. I also didn't start PT until around week 7. My PT told me that the PT for the ulnar shortening can be a bit more that for some other therapies.

When I went from my initial splint after surgery to my first cast, I had to go back to a couple days of taking pain killers again. In fact, my surgeon had asked me if I wanted a refill of pain killers and I had declined. I had to call back the next day to ask for them. It took a lot more out of me than I expected. It did calm down some after a few days though.

Personally, I expect that at 12 weeks you will be doing most things you did before. You probably won't be 100% normal though. According to my 2 certified hand therapists I've visited, it could take up to a year to fully heal.

Please keep us posted on your progress. It would be great to have a good success story on the boards here.

Take care.