View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User
New here, worried and scared

Hi, I usually post on the pain management and back boards but have found that I also need to be here , at least until I find out what's going on with my thyroid. 10 years ago, my thyroid was enlarged and I was sent for a nuclear scan and an ultrasound of my thyroid. That ultrasound showed 4 cysts, which were negative I guess from the results of that scan for anything serious. My GP never told me that I needed to follow up or anything, in all of these years since. Anyway, I finally changed doctors and when going over my medical history, he decided to send me for a new ultrasound to see how the cysts were and also to help find out why I suddenly lost 45 pounds without dieting.....needless to say, my new ultrasound, which was done last week, has some new things on it and from the report, it seems that they are very concerned about one new growth in particular...this is the report:
Right lobe measures 4.4x2.1x1.2 cm. There is a 2 mm cyst in the upper pole unchanged from previous study. There is also a 3 mm cyst in the mid portion of the right lobe new since the prior exam. No vascular flow or calcifications are associated with these cysts.
The left lobe measures 4 x 1.7 x .3 cm. There is a 2 mm cyst in the upper pole unchanged. A 2 mm cyst is seen within the mid to lower pole of the left lobe. This cyst also has benign characteristics. A 6 x 3 mm complex hypoechoic nodule with microcalcifications and increased peripheral arterial blood flow is seen within the upper pole of the left lobe. This nodule is new since the prior exam. The isthmus is unremarkable.

A complex 6 x 3 mm complex hypoechoic nodule with microcalcifications and increased peripheral arterial blood flow is seen within the upper pole of the left lobe...This nodule is new since the prior exam.

Impression:
There is a 6 x 3 mm complex nodule with microcalcifications and increased peripheral arterial blood flow within the upper pole of the left lobe. An ultrasound guided biopsy of this nodule is advised for further evaluation.

There are tiny bilateral cysts which have benign characteristics. There is a 6 x 3 mm complex nodule with microcalcifications and increased arterial blood flow within the upper pole of the left lobe. An ultrasound guided biopsy of this nodule is advised for further evaluation.

Tomorrow is the day for the biopsy and having read about this particular type of thyroid nodule, it doesn't sound like this is going to turn out well for me.
Can anyone give me some hope? Some idea of what to expect? Longevity? I have 4 kids and am worried.
Thanks

Last edited by Administrator; 02-07-2013 at 11:21 AM.