View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User
Re: Bay Area hip folks; arthroscopy surgeon recommendations?

Hi there -- my first hip surgery cost me $140 out of pocket; I consider the money I paid to have Sampson do the second and third surgeries (same hip) a much better deal, even though I spent many thousands to do so. However, my insurance paid some of the cost and I had the surgery at St. Francis which was in-network.

I had a consult with Vail, who had some good, practical advice on when to schedule the surgery. I liked that UCSF has a sports medicine component and that they seemed to worked hand-in-hand with physical therapists.

I think that continuity of care is important: I had a back surgery at Stanford, which unfortunately involved a potentially nasty complication. I was very happy that Stanford's Pain Management diagnosed me very quickly. However, I think I am still on the waiting list to see a specialized physical therapist. I was put on the wait list in March 2012. I transferred my care to UCSF's pain management, which continued the same protocol, but got me in to a specialized PT right away.

The Following User Says Thank You to SweetPeainSF For This Useful Post:
prech (02-06-2013)