View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User
Re: Bay Area hip folks; arthroscopy surgeon recommendations?

Honestly, I had just one appointment with him was in late 2008, so the details are a little sketchly. The overall impression that I had leaving the appointment was that he thought surgery would help me, but did not have a specific plan to deal with what he saw on the MRIs. If I had pressed him, he may have had a plan but wasn't conveying it to me.

I have a specific suggestion in interviewing prospective doctors. Much of my pain post-op came from the traction. The first surgery was with a general ortho who had great difficulty getting into my hip capsule and performed a simple labral debridement. The second and third surgeries involved significantly more work: shaving bone to reshape the joint, for example, but post-op pain was not as bad. I would suggest asking prospective surgeons if they have encountered difficulties getting into hip capsules and what techniques they use to manage this difficulty.

I also have an easy post-op tip to increase range-of-motion, in addition to the recommended stationary bicycle (or continuous passive motion machine). After the third surgery, maybe two days post-op, I began standing and making circles with my hip, while sliding my foot along the floor (crutches for support, no weight on affected leg). I had a lot less stiffness and swelling, especially on the outside of the hip.

The Following User Says Thank You to SweetPeainSF For This Useful Post:
prech (02-06-2013)