View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #1
(female)

let me walk HB Userlet me walk HB User
Question Sudden: Intense Anterior Left Hip Pain: Post Laminotomy

Hello,
I posted a similar thread on the "back board." I thought I post here too.

History: (2 left ankle surgeries, 3 knee surgeries, bilateral PFJR-patella femoral joint replacements, left calf double compartment release surgery, lumbar laminotomy...(NOT laminectomy) on L3, L4-with facet "clean out" on L3,L4, and L5).

I am 9 weeks post Laminotomy & facet work. I was doing fine till about 2 weeks ago. I get INTENSE anterior left hip pain. The rating is like an 8 on the pain scale. The pain pattern is odd though. It only happens after I've been standing for 5-10 minutes..like after taking a shower or working in the kitchen. When I go to take my first step with my left leg...the pain is INSANE...it almost feels like it's catching or something. The pain feels like it's coming from the sartorius tendon or the rectus femoris tendon...but then it also feels like it's in the groin at times. I can "work through it" after I sit down for a minute and then I'm good to go.

Before I had my lumbar surgery, among the obvious symptoms with stenosis, I had weird left hip tightness. I could relieve it while standing and doing a "tree pose" type of stance...but then I would "crack" my outer hip and then it would release. Also, while walking my left hip would crack, snap, pop..when I walked. I could feel that all over the left hip: outer, anterior, medial. I thought this was all because of my ortho history with my left side having gone through so much.

I've had x-rays of my hip (that don't show arthritis). X-rays don't show soft tissue damage. I'm thinking that maybe I have one or a combo of the following: iliopsoas bursitis, "snapping hip sndrome", or maybe a labrum tear??

My lumbar surgeon doesn't think it's related to my spine. He thinks it's a hip problem. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm seeing my sports med doc on Tuesday. I want to be as informed as possible. (The thought of now having a hip issue really depresses me......)

Thanks,
Let Me Walk