View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
(female)

Preciousbubs HB User
Smile To have surgery or not

In my right shoulder I have a large full-thickness tear of the supraspinatus tendon with retraction and a partial longitudinal split tear of the long head bicep tendon. I also have spurs on the acromion bone, tendinosis of two other tendons, atrophy of two the muscles as a result of the tears and osteoarthritis in two joints among other things. I have been going for physio since October with no change in the ROM or movement of my right arm and shoulder. I have difficulty getting things out of cupboards and putting them back because I can't raise my arm high enough. I have difficulty doing my hair, discomfort when driving and a lot of pain at night. I haven't slept a full night in months because of the pain. I saw an orthopedic surgeon yesterday. He said the only way he could help was to do surgery to repair everything. He didn't want me to make a decision yesterday but to go home and think about what he told me and discuss it with family and friends. He told me to write down any questions I had and bring them to my next appointment in March when he will answer them. He gave me the odds of the surgery helping me which is 85%, and he said about 13% of patients don't feel any different and about 2% say they are worse after the surgery. He also told me i would have about a 4 -5 inch incision on the top of my shoulder and I would be in hospital 1 - 2 nights. I would be off work about 8 - 10 weeks depending on my recovery. He also told me my shoulder would never be 100% with or without surgery and that tendons do not repair themselves and if left unrepaired the tears would probably eventually get larger. For those of you who have had a similar problem and had surgery is it worth it? Should I have the surgery or not? By the way I am right handed. This surgeon has an excellent reputation for shoulder and knee repairs.