View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
(female)

Surfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB User
Re: Starting Fresh - looking at thyroid removal

Hey there, sorry for the issues that have brought you to the board but welcome!
I do not know much in the line of goiters as though I have nodules none are suspicious so I have not had reason to delve into it!
TSH for most healthy people is in the range of 1-1.4 (regardless of lab range used and this has changed)
Frees (T4/T3 and frees are best to go by) should be about mid of lab range or above
Have you had antibodies tested? You should.
As Reece says, post your labs, you can get a lot of help with that and research your choices before taking a big step.
Checking cortisol DHEA, iron vit D3 etc may be of help as if adrenals are stressed thyroxine will not work so well so adrenals should be sorted before if possible.

Thyroid hormones have good success is shrinking nodules. Not everyone does as well on thyroxine, quite a few people have needed the combos, armour is very popular. It is a combo of T4/T3. (Or a synthetic mix of thyroxine and T3)

If you get thyroid removed you will not be producing thyroid hormones and it can be easier to replace as there are generally no fluctuations to deal with but you will go fully hypo. Which is why you need the replacement to replace what your body can no longer do.

It sounds like you need to research good docs in your area, check at compounding pharmacies for those that prescribe natural dessicated hormones, these are generally more progressive in treating by frees, symptoms and are more open to viewing adrenal fatigue if it is present.
And keep reading and informing yourself as you will need to know all you can to understand your options. Good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to Surfing4answers For This Useful Post:
fedup20 (02-11-2013)