View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 07:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
Re: Anyone try Valerian for Sleep?

I haven't personally tried Valerian. My inability to fall asleep and stay asleep started after my hysterectomy. Getting a good amount of estrogen has pretty much restored my sleep. When I wasn't getting enough estrogen, Prometrium (progesterone) served as my "sleeping pill." I don't take progesterone any more.

Nikki said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki1980 View Post
They all just look at me and say "you are too young and still have your ovaries so everything should be working just fine". Well guess what, they're NOT!
I've done a bit of research since my hysterectomy and there are studies that show that the ovaries can fail or have diminished function after hysterectomy due to the loss of blood flow and/or "feedback loop" with the uterus. There are also studies that show an earlier menopause after hysterectomy. Maybe you can print off these studies and show them to your doctors who seem so clueless. Since you seem to still be "cycling" maybe you're in perimenopause (the transition to menopause) which for many women causes more symptoms than the early menopause timeframe because that's when hormones are fluctuating wildly.

As far as melatonin, I read somewhere that you have to take it for awhile to restore your levels and your sleep cycles. But I've talked to a couple of people who say it works for them on an as needed basis but they take a higher dose than the typical 2 or 3 mg.

Here's to hoping we can all achieve better sleep before it drives us bonkers!!

The following user gives a hug of support to STLouisgal:
Niki1980 (02-15-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to STLouisgal For This Useful Post:
Niki1980 (02-15-2013)