View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #11
(female)

tishaboo HB User
Re: Ulnar Shortening Surgery... how long is recovery?

Thanks & I agree... I think that moving sooner than later is a big contributor to my progress. I can't imagine how stiff it would've been after 4 weeks in a cast! PT, however, has been more challenging lately. She's pushing me a little more each time and I'm having more pain later in the day...and sometimes the next day too! It seems like I'm in more (nagging) pain now than the immediate days following the surgery. But I've still managed to stick to my stretches and ball exercises 3-4 times a day...except for one day when I was in too much pain to do anything but prop my arm up. Despite the good progress I still haven't gotten beyond the swelling with activity. That still makes my wrist and arm ache, and sometimes it burns right along the incision. I hope that crap stops before I have to go back to work!

I have to keep reminding myself that this is going to be a long journey, but that doesn't stop me from getting frustrated sometimes . The PTist said that some people never get back 100% supination...ugh...didn't like the sound of that! I have a sneaky suspicion that this hard metal plate on the bone has a little to do with it. Most of the time, when I try supination, it isn't pain that stops me. It's this weird, stiff, pulling/tugging feeling in my arm that stops me...like someting terribly wrong will happen if I keep going. So I stop. I think it's the plate. I think I'm gonna get it removed as soon as I can.

But overall I'm happy that I can drive and put my hair in a ponytail....baby steps

Last edited by tishaboo; 02-19-2013 at 07:46 PM.