View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Ulnar Shortening Surgery... how long is recovery?

I've now had 2 hand therapists. After my second surgery at Thanksgiving, I switched to a certified hand therapist closer to my work. He has made it very clear to me that while most of the time they want you to push through pain, it isn't recommended for ulnar wrist pain. Evidently it takes a long time for healing and pushing through the pain could actually aggrevate the inflammation. His advice every visit was to do what I could but not to push too hard. I've actually had more success this time.

I never regained my supination after my ulnar osteotomy last February. It was a point of endless frustration for me. I had full ROM before surgery, I just had pain with some movements. After I had the second surgery where they cleaned things out arthroscopically and removed my plate I'm feeling much more hopeful. I'm close to achieving a full palms up. After the PT works my hand and it is all loosened up, I'm able achieve the palms up. I'm not certain how much the arthroscopic stuff factored in last time, but according to my surgeon this last time the plate could have very much made it tougher before.

Thanks for the updates. I think it is good for you and also good for those reading the boards. It helps to be able to see multiple perspectives from those going through this.

Take care.