View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User
Re: help needed truely unsure what to do

The only difference between the long acting and short acting versions of oxycodone is the duration ( how long they last between doses). The medication in both versions is exactly the same. So one should not work differently than the other, but Oxycontin has been known not to last for the entire 12 hours, at least prior to the new version that was released.
As far as getting your doctor to convert you to the short acting version, I doubt that is going to happen, anytime. A chronic pain patient, is best managed by using long acting (extended release) dosing, since it is less pills per day, but it also provides more effective blood plasma levels than using short acting which exacerbates the ups and downs that come with those medications.
Since your pain is mostly neuropathic, I am surprised that he has you on opiates at those doses, since Lyrica, gabapentin, cymbalta, and the old tricyclic anti depressants are far more effective than opiates at treating that type of pain..
One problem with some patients that are converted to the long acting versions is that the patients tend to believe that the long acting version isn't working because they don't "feel" the immediate release of the meds like they do with short acting versions. So they tend to view them as not "being effective at managing pain", but that's not true.
If I were you, and you really feel that the oxycontin is not working well,nor lasting as long as it is supposed to, then I would tell him that and ask about adding a medication geared specifically toward treating neuropathic pain, and see about adding that to your medications , after it is titrated to the proper dose, you may find that that is working with the oxycontin to manage your pain levels much more effectively.
I would not however expect that he is going to convert you over to any short acting medication , simply because I doubt that he will,.