View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 02:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User
Re: runner / brostrom procedure

Yeah for being on this side of surgery! Sounds like you're doing well! Don't feel bad about debating the surgery. As you said in your first post, you always want surgery to be your last resort. Most of us have not known exactly how bad our ankles were going into surgery. I knew I had 3 torn ligaments and what he was pretty sure was a torn tendon. He told my husband everything was torn and the tendon was "shredded"! So don't feel bad!

I'm glad you got a knee walker. I feel bad we didn't know your surgery ahead of time to get you all prepared! You should this board when we find out someone is about to have surgery! LOL! We get everyone fixed up !

As far as the boot. It will be a lot like the cast except you will be able to remove it to shower and do PT and you will be able to start bearing weight. Don't think you will be walking ASAP and don't feel pressured to do so. It took me a few days after the first surgery and it took 2 wks after this surgery cause more was done. Even my surgeon was like you can start bearing weight but I think you will find it will take a bit. PT will help with this too...as well as with pain that may occur with weight bearing, swelling that WILL occur, etc. As far as with a 1yo, don't know. Don't have kids yet, but we have 3 very small dogs and it was easier for me when I reached this point to take care of them when my husband wasn't home because they couldn't understand wha my problem was! LOL!

If you have any other questions or need to vent, go for it! That's what we're here for!