View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 06:52 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Vitamin D levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamarie633 View Post
Hi All,

I was wondering if a Vitamin D level of 22 is very low, compared to those of you that have been diagnosed? I have also tried some of the neuro tests, standing with feet together and shutting my eyes, I can't keep my balance to save my life. I had my family do it and all of them could stand still with eyes shut. Walking heel to toe is not something I thrive at either, from what I've read failing these things is not a good thing. I wish my appointment was tomorrow this waiting is really difficult.

I'm interested in hearing from all of you about Vit D levels.

Thanks again!!
It depends upon the measurement taken. If your measurement was nmol/L then 22 is deficient. If the measure was ng/mL then it is generally considered inadequate for bone and overall health in healthy individuals. I would say; therefore, that it is low and needs to be brought up to a safe range. Your GP can assist with this.

I take D3 1000 iu per day. My D was never deficient, but it was trending to the low side especially during the winter.

Your doctor can prescribe a dosage (prescription strength) followed by an OTC vitamin D3. It might take several months. I had a follow-up 6 months later and I was back in the healthy range.

Vitamin D. is a fat soluble vitamin which is absorbed at variable rates. You might need 2000 iu per day whereas I only need 1000 iu per day. Your ability to absorb an adequate amount can be determined by your doctor. You should not take too much vitamin D because toxicity can be detrimental.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><