View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #59
(male)

vitcat2 HB Uservitcat2 HB User
Re: Post-Vitrectomy Vision & Possibility of Repeat Retinal Detachment

Hi Sree234,

You need to ask your dr "why" the vitretomy was done in your case. Did the accident cause retinal detachment (RD)? How bad was it - just peripheral RD, or central (macular) RD too? Is it a "macular hole" or a "macular pucker" (epi-retinal membrane), or both? Was there hemorrhage inside the vitreous? Was your lens damaged too? I am no doctor, but each case has its own prognosis, and recovery time. In my case, lens removal (due to cataracts) and replacement with IOL was the least of my problems, and I started seeing clearly immediately after the operation. I write this because if your lens is damaged then I am hoping they can replace it by an IOL (intra-ocular lens).

But RD repair is a wholly different ball game, you have to have patience, and as others will atest, lots of it. My right eye, with peripheral RD, took only about 16-19 days to recover completely with 20/20 post-op, but the left eye with "macular RD" is still a reovering saga 6.5 weeks afte vit sx, although I started driving, working and everything else 21 days post-op. I had kept meticulous notes of how the air bubble was shrinking with time in both cases - literally drew graphs with time (listen carefully to the dr when he examines you - he will note the % air-bubble volume remaining during every visit, and you can extrapolate - linearly, or otherwise, as to when it will completely go away). Also, you need to gage its size 'relative' to something at the same distance - like standing with face down near a commode, and comparing its size (diameter) with respect to the commode-ring diameter. Absolute size is difficult to measure through our eyes. My dr said that when you look through the air bubble, the liquid portion acts like a small spherical lens actually, and you can see very sharply at close vision - words in a book, etc. As the air-bubble is automatically replaced by your own liquid (saline solution) your vision will improve slowly, and the shimmering, etc., from the air-bubble will go away. But what your final stable vision becomes, depends on what the vit sx was done for. My air-bubble took 15.5 days and 18.5 days to vanish completely, but it can vary with each person. In any case, when the air-bubble is present in the eye, you MUST follow your doctor's instructions on sleeping position (face-down, no face-up, etc.) very, very meticulousy for a successful recovery. The face down position may create swelling of the cornea sometimes (it looks like mucosy stuff on the cornea and ugly), but it goes away with time.

Finally, forget about your work and everything else during you recovery - your vision is far more important than few days work. I was lucky to take sick-leave for 2 and 3 weeks for each eye, and rest completely. I am sure you can do that too. All the best, and keep us posted!

The Following User Says Thank You to vitcat2 For This Useful Post:
Sree234 (02-24-2013)