View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 10:04 PM   #56
(male)

vitcat2 HB Uservitcat2 HB User
Re: Post-Vitrectomy Vision & Possibility of Repeat Retinal Detachment

cknite: "...The irony of it all is that the day before the most recent detachment, I had visited the dr and he said he really didn't think the retina would re-detach at that point. Then the next evening I noticed a sudden and increasing loss of brightness in the eye. From my understanding the oil is much more likely to cause a cataract. I'm assuming the length of time the oil is left in the eye is proportional to that likelihood but I will ask the surgeon tomorrow...."

The dr is only human - my dr also said after a preventative laser retinopexy and posterior vitreous detachment (PVD) that there was no retinal tear, the vitreous was completely floating (harmless), and the chances of retinal detachment happening is small. However, in 2.5 weeks, within 7 hours my vision blockage went from 10% to 90%in that eye and RD had happened. I got vit sx 24 hours after all this happened - but my macula was detached by then, hence, all the emergency havoc later, and I am left now with distorted vision. So, all these are also guesses by the dr. I had earlier read the recommendations of "American Academy of Opthalmology," about doing even the laser retinopexy as a preventative treatment, and the panel was divided into whether to do it or not, and I was myself in a predicament then. I sometimes wonder if the RD actually was accelerated due to this "preventative" laser treatment. So, all these are nature's games, and your luck! By the way, even if cataracts happens later, don't worry much, since it is a much easier operation than vit sx - and the results are quicker and better; however, cat sx itself also is supposed to increase the possibility of RD - so, unfortunately, it is a boot-strap loop. Perhaps, you may take second opinion, and even a third, since you are going through so many RD's and vit sx.
By the way, I did not quite understand the ridge in your OCT; usually, at the fovea it is more like a volcano pit - with a depression in the middle and a mound at its rim, with slowly decreasing thickness beyond the mound. What ridge are you talking, and why is it good?