View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 09:34 PM   #58
(male)

vitcat2 HB Uservitcat2 HB User
Re: Post-Vitrectomy Vision & Possibility of Repeat Retinal Detachment

sree234:

By size, do you mean the diameter of the macular hole near the central fovea? Units for these retina-related things are in "mirometers." That is, 622 micro-meters, or 0.622 mm in your case. Don't be fooled by the smallness of this size - everything there is really, really small, but the vision from the fovea (it is just 0.3 mm in diameter, and can have 175,000 cone cells in 1 sq. mm - cones are densely packed only in the fovea and give color perception and visual acuity) occupies 50% of the imaging from the visual cortex in the brain; rest of the imaging is for rest of the retinal area! (See some of the numbers I have mentioned in my other posts in this thread.) By the way, do you have macular edema (swelling) too?

Also, ask your dr if it was really a "hole" in the macula, or macular "detachment" but not really a hole (see my other post on it: Stage 1, 2 and 3 - see NEI website on this) - the rate of recovery and the final state of vision can be different in both cases. I had Stage 1 macular detachment, and I am still recovering after 6.5 weeks. An OCT scan tells a lot of things about the retinal cross-sectional thickness distribution, amongst other things - it is done in just a few minutes, and totally painless. But with the air bubble still in there, I don't know if they can do that yet. They use infra-red light and ask you to focus on a cross-hair through a desk-top machine, and get the OCT. Macular hole, even after repair, usually causes some vision distortions - which I am going through myself (that's the reason I started this thread -read my first post), and still keeping my fingers crossed for full recovery. Waviness of vertical/horizontal lines, image size distortion, and stereoscopic vision are the main problems - dr says time will improve them, but perhaps not completely. If your other eye is good, you are in luck, since it will simply dominate most of the vision, as in my case, and I can do everything normally otherwise. It's the coordinaion of both eyes in the brain that's the issue!

The Following User Says Thank You to vitcat2 For This Useful Post:
Sree234 (02-25-2013)