View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 02:09 AM   #3
(female)

growagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB User
Re: My 13 yr old son is addicted to X box

First, I would sit down with your wife and come up with the ground rules that you both can agree on. Keeping a united front with your children is the best way to handle any family issues.

Remove all the devices from his room and the house. He can earn back his privileges one by one with the appropriate behavior at home and in school.

Use this opportunity to control your anger and a use a calm and even tone with him at all times. When a parent is out of control, a child cannot overcome that. Say what you mean and mean what you say.

I would expect it to take a good 30 days to break him of this habit, during which time the whole family must do their best to stay together and help each other.

The sooner you can regain control of your son, the better off your entire family will be. It will not be easy, but well worth the effort to get him back into school. Good luck!