View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
(female)

butr4what HB User
10 weeks of loose stools

I am a 31 year old female and have always been very healthy. My bowel movements were extremely regular and well formed. I eat a very healthy diet that is high in fiber and exercise regularly. Starting in January, I started having diarrhea and loose stools several times a day.I assumed that I had some kind of stomach virus but after 2 weeks without a single regular bowel movement and diarrhea up to 12 times a day, I went to see my GP. He thought it may be a bacterial GI bug so he prescribed an antibiotic and suggested taking Imodium. The Imodium made me stop pooping completely but as soon as it was out of my system, the diarrhea would start again. I have also been having bouts of nausea, fatigue (but I have 3 kids under the age of 5 so who knows if this is worth noting). After 4 weeks of this, I went to seed a GI and he again suggested waiting a while longer to see if it would resolve itself. He prescribed an antispasmodic which I couldn't take because I'm nursing, regular doses of Imodium, and a probiotic. The Imodium made me constipated and gassy so I only take it sparingly. It's now been 10 weeks without a single normal movement and I saw a big wad of white mucus and red blood in my stool this morning. My GP ran tests for blood 6 weeks ago, parasites, etc and found nothing. My great aunt had colon cancer but other than that, theres none in my family that I know of. I'm scheduled for a colonoscopy next.week but this is really starting to worry me. Any ideas what I should be making sure they look for other than cancer during the coloscopy? Crohns, colitis, polyps, etc?