View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Imuran for Autoimmune

I'm glad you have made progress with your diagnosis! These meds are all standard ones for MCTD and it is not too much together. I have been on that combination myself. Plaquenil is the standard baseline treatment, Prednisone helps quickly and hopefully can be discontinued once the Placquenil and Imuran kick in, which will take 2-3 months. The Cymbalta helps with chronic pain. You will undoubtedly need doses adjusted, and eventually should get to a more stable point where you feel better and have few if any flares. MCTD may be a little more complex than lupus, but is not better or worse. Each person with it must have their treatment tailored to their symptoms and response to meds, so you are truly making progress! Fatigue can cause a flare, so better to pace yourself than push yourself to point of exhaustion. That just makes it worse., Try frequent short rest periods between activities and alternate hard tasks with easy tasks to get thru the day more comfortably. Imuran is the strongest medication you are on, and it suppresses the overactive immune system. You probably need checked for Hashimoto's if your thyroid is off, blood tests for thyroid antibodies. Organ damage is assessed by a combo of symptoms, blood tests, xrays, urine checks and specialized tests as needed.