View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 06:59 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: hallux rigidus surgery

First, the medication issue. You have lost cartilege in that joint. You now have arthritis. There is nothing that can be done about that. True, they can drill holes in the remaining cartilege and hope it produces enough scar tissue to help, but it doesn't always work. So, most people are going to have to take something to help with the inflammation.

Second, if you wait too long, there will be no cartilege left and fusion will be your only option. I'd go for a clean up.

Third, yes, 8 weeks recovery is about right in order to be able to do whatever you want. Shaq had his in Sept and was back on the basketball court in November. But FULL recovery, where you never even know you had it done, can be up to a year. My last cheilectomy was done on June 15 and I was at a dance on August 5 and danced probably 75% of the songs. But it really wasn't fully healed at that point.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Titchou; 03-10-2013 at 07:00 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
bruce587 (03-10-2013)