View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 07:50 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: hallux rigidus surgery

This is just my opinion based on my experiece (cheilectomies in both great toes - main causes wearing high heels all day and lots of dancing). The cartilege will deteriorate. Mine did. I waited too long for the second one (right toe) and there was more damage than we thought. That repair job isn't lasting as long as the other one (left foot done in 2003, right one done in 2011). The xrays of the right one will make your stomach churn. Luckily, I have a high pain threshold so am not doing the fusion yet but there is absolutely no visible cartilege left now. It is bone on bone.
But I'm vain too so don't want to give up my pretty shoes!

It may also be that you are seeing pods and I didn't. There is a definite different approach - in my experience. And it really doesn't have that much to do with "exercise." Your toe joint moves up and down more when you are walking than when jogging. The fact that I also jog has precious little to do with my joint damage. In fact, I can jog when my toe hurts more easily than I can walk. I strogly suggest you talk with a sports med ortho to gain more understanding. If it were true that waiting won't do any more damage then no one would ever need a fusion. Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited by Titchou; 03-10-2013 at 07:51 AM.