View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: coughing after getting over the flu

It took me over a month to get the coughing to subside after I got the flu on New Year's Eve day.

For the cough syrup, I don't like the codeine ones unless I absolutely have to because I can't work when I'm on it and my coughing is horrible during the day too. I get a bit of relief with the promethazine DM/phenegren DM. It is also an anti-nausea med a swell so you might find it helpful. It isn't as strong as the codeine but it may help.

I also added additional asthma meds for a while. Nebulizer for the Albuterol instead of just the puffer. Dulera. Pulmicort.

My Pulmonologist doesn't want me on Prednisone until I get below 50% of my normal peak flow so I did everything I could outside of that.

I used my humidifier regularly. I also have some essential oils called Breathe to help as well.

Hope you feel better soon. Chronic coughing like this can be miserable.